Monday, February 05, 2007

Noni Flower


I adore the Noni Flower Bags. I found that my local knit shop had the patterns. The flowers are a separate pattern then the bag itself. I purchased only the Camilla flower pattern. My local knit shop doesn’t carry the Cascade 220 yarn and recommends the Brown Sheep Bulky as an alternative. However, I fell in love with this Paint Box yarn. It has a nice blend that changes from a Pink at one end into a Purple at the end.

I read some blogs about creating these flowers, which mentioned that the large flowers need more than one ball of yarn. I chose to create the medium size flower to save on yarn. It suggested that the leaves should be created using 6 stitches in the width, then working up to 11 rows/stitches in the length. My first thought was that the petal leaves were too narrow and long, but my past experience with felting a bag I felt that the petals would shrink-up. I used a longhaired acrylic yarn as an accent for the center bobble.

The pattern suggests that the petals should be twisted around and sewn together. I did this loosely because I thought the shrinking would tighten up the total flower. It didn’t. If I do this again I would sew the petals together more tightly.

I do like the size of the medium flower except I would the make the petals wider with 7 or 8 stitches and less long with 9 or 10 rows tall.

I felted my flower in the washing machine with a warm wash and warm rinse setting. After the first wash cycle the stitches were still visible so I washed them for a second cycle. To try and form this flower I pressed the flower into a ball shape and placed a crumpled sheet of newspaper between the first and second round of petals. It did dry in a good shape but the petals were very floppy. For me to use this flower I believe I would need some stiffener to keep the petals in shape. I’ll post the final pictures once I find and use some liquid starch.

2 comments:

barbara said...

i am knitting the flowers on the noni garden felted bag and am stuck where it says to "stop and turn". i saw the picture of your flowers but have no idea how you got here. the woman that owns the yarn shop just keeps telling me to "read the directions". can you give me a few more directions?

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I had the same problem when I first tried to knit a flower. The stop and turn means that you will have knitted some stitches onto your right needle, and while there are some stitches still on your left needle, you will turn both of your needles around and purl the stitches you just knitted. Don't worry about the stitches you did not originally knit, as these form your shape and curl. I hope this made it a little clearer.