Thursday, October 25, 2007

Alligator Scarf

I am thrilled with this cute scarf, although I don’t think my daughter (11) is. She asked why I would want an alligator wrapped around my neck. The directions are easy to follow. The main pattern workhorse stitch is an increase stitch. They have a very detailed explanation for this stitch and other details.
I was reading the back pages of Interweave Knits and came across the ad. I followed the
Morehouse Farm Merino Link
and found this scarf in many colors of 100% Merino. I chose the Sage color because I think it is closer in color to the real thing. I made some swatches and found that the suggested 5 US came close to gauge. Even though, the gauge swatch made in 6 US felt softer I went with the number 5 US needles. I’m sorry I did since, I was struggling to slip my needle into the increase and deceases stitches.

The final knit head is fun though (see left). The yarn has a nice smooth feel. I do find the knitting on size 5US feels too hard for my taste, especially if the scarf will be wrapped around my neck. So I decided to go up a needle size. I’m not afraid to rip out. I would rather have a knit product that I will wear than to worry about the time already spent.

I had heard some discussion in my Knitting Guild about a “lace needle.”
Since I already decide to go up a size I thought I would try it out. I bought an Addi Turbo 'Lace' Circular. It’s amazing how this one small adustment can make the knitting process simpler. This pattern has a great deal of increase stitches. The extra sharpness of the point allows it to slide through the tight loop without as much struggle as I was having with a normal needle. I took a picture so you can see the difference between needles.

The pattern is basically garter stitch with increases and decrease stitches of knit 2 stitches togethers. It’s just plain fun knitting and then suddenly you have some eyes and a snout. The yarn thickness to the scarf is good enough to retain the animal shape.

13 comments:

† ★ Enedina Nava ★ † said...

hi, Pam! mi name is Enedina and I live in Mexico City. i was wondering if you have the pattern of alligator scarf or baby alligator scarf pattern and if you can share with me...thanks in advance an thousand kisses from Mexico, God bless you...enavatell@gmail.com

Bree Ramsey said...

Hi Pam,
I love your alligator scarf! Would you be willing to share the pattern? If so, I'd love to have a copy of it.
Bree

Bree Ramsey said...

Hi again Pam...
I've been going through your blog and I see that the pattern is a kit that I can order. Yeah!
Bree

Nancy said...

I would love to know just how you make the bumps.. I see that it is garter stitch.. I think? but what is the increase and decrease method..Would love to know. Thanks so much.

zohreh said...

may i ask you share your pattern with me,because in my country(IRAN) we can buy any thing from other country.
my email address:
zmansouri2001@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

my mom has been trying to get the alligator pattern for months and we can't order it online, was hoping maybe you could share the pattern, my mother has lots of doll patterns I would be glad to get some and send them to you if you'd like an exchange of patterns. email me at babs4ever25@yahoo.ca

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam! This is just to much fun, if you are sharing the pattern, I will love to have a copy too! Thank you so much! icri911@gmail.com
Blessings!
Isa

Anonymous said...

Why do people keep writing?
No one answers you.
So I guess the answer is no. I will not share this cute pattern.

dipende said...

can i have the alligator scarf pattern?

my mail il leobuttazzo@libero.it

thank

Anonymous said...

I belong to a prayer shawl group--we make items for the homeless and wonder if you would share the pattern for the knitted gator scarf
thank you
terryjean@sbcglobal.net

Manda said...

Hello could some one please be kind enough to help me for an adult alligator scarf , I love it and cant find the pattern.. Love from Amanda in Australia

Yarn needles and life said...

Since this pattern is a copyright protected pattern and the designer sells the pattern for money , asking this lady to give you a copy of the pattern is against the law.

The pattern is available for sale on Raverly.com and can be downloaded via a internet connection. You can pay for it via Credit card, Debit card or PayPal.

Please don't ask this blogger to do something illegal.

Yarn needles and life said...

Since this pattern is a copyright protected pattern and the designer sells the pattern for money , asking this lady to give you a copy of the pattern is against the law.

The pattern is available for sale on Raverly.com and can be downloaded via a internet connection. You can pay for it via Credit card, Debit card or PayPal.

Please don't ask this blogger to do something illegal.