Thursday, January 18, 2007

My adventures in felting

Here is my completed bag. I sewed on a Celtic designed 7/8 “ metal button with a 51 “ twisted rayon cord for a handle.

I attended my first “KnitAbout” Wednesday night knitting group in Leominster last night. I got a chance to discuss some felting topics that I was wondering about. One of the members is quite experienced with felting. I mentioned how I had washed my bag for 25 minutes in my washing machine with hot water and a cold rinse. I told her how I was concerned that my bag seemed to shrink excessively. She suggested in the future that I should watch the wash cycle more closely and check the shrinkage after the first 10 minutes, then every 3 minutes after that. The wool that I used was an “Icelandic” style yarn, which she thought, shrinks more quickly and strongly than a “twisted” yarn.

Project Details:
Pattern:
Teeny-Tiny Felted Totes

Yarn: Vero
gray #13, Lot 06486

Needles: 10 double pointed

Before felting dimensions:
Bag sides: 8” tall x 10.5” wide opening, Bottom: 6.75” wide x 3.5” deep

After felting dimensions:
Bag sides: 4” tall x 7.5” opening, Bottom: 5” wide x 3” deep

Thoughts/Modifications: This being my first attempt with felting I was please. The yarn seemed to shrink a great deal in the height. The pattern was well written and I enjoyed working with the yarn.

No comments: